It’s the most wonderful time of the year! No, not Christmas … it’s Back to School time. And while we know you’re busy prepping for your new classes and NOT, say, soaking up every last minute summertime adventure you can before the semester starts … It’s also time to start planning how to make your apartment décor work for you when it comes to staying on top of your studies! Here are a few back to school basics for your apartment, what we call the “bare necessities” (Thanks, Baloo) to get you through the school year!
Get in the (Study) Zone
We all know your favorite part of your apartment is your bed (ours, too), but that doesn’t mean it’s where you should be studying! It’s time to invest in a desk. You can go pretty basic, like this sweet little Mainstay Parsons Desk with convenient drawers for organization. But we’re in love with South Shore’s “Smart Basics” desk with an above-desk shelf for photos (or framed reminders to start studying!), drawer space, and a sliding keyboard shelf. Don’t forget to invest in a basic task chair, like this basic rolling wonder from Target. (Hint: We prefer armless chairs so we don’t get in the habit of dumping clothes and other stuff we should put away on it!) Don’t forget a basic desk organizer—something to hold pens, desk supplies, and even store that paper print out so you don’t lose it before class—and calendar, and of course a nice desk lamp!
The Five Ps
One of our favorite NAU professors always reminded students to “Remember the Five Ps: Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.” Well, here are our Five Ps for proper planning:
- Planner: Check out these Day Designer planners from Target, stylish and perfect for organizing your day to day activities during the school year.
- Portfolio: Buy yourself at least one three ring binder or portfolio to keep track of all your course materials for the semester.
- Pens and Pencils: Here’s a “Duh” moment … you’re not going to get very far this year without a good supply of writing instruments. (Pro Tip: We know you’d love to just take your iPad to class, but keep in mind you always run the risk of having that ONE prof who hates tech and bans it from their classroom.)
- Plenty of Paper: Use your desk organizer to store a reserve of printer and loose leaf paper, and plan to have at least one notebook for each class. (Remember that three ring binder we told you to buy?)
- PDA: Don’t worry, we’re not recommending you go old school. We personally love the myHomework app (free) to track assigments, iHomework ($0.99) to track your coursework to-do list, and iStudiez Pro ($2.99) to keep color-coded track of class schedules and assignments.
No Bore Décor
We love Walmart’s special section of Inspirational Wall Art! Target has a huge selection of College Décor that will help you deck your apartment out in impeccable style, including floor lamps, pillows, posters, and must-haves like this sweet bulletin-chalkboard combo!
Don’t forget to add your personality to your apartment! As much as you should be focusing on your studies, home is where your heart is, so put your heart into your home. Check out these unique and sometimes-classy-sometimes hilarious mugs from Urban Outfitters. Keep an eye out for inspiration, like Pier One’s Boho look selections and room inspiration guides. And for all your Lumberjacks: Don’t miss NAU’s Apartment Décor deals!